Our Business Philosophy
OpenEye Scientific Software, Inc. is a C-class corporation wholly owned by its employees and friends and financed by the success of its products. OpenEye has no venture investment and has never taken government handouts. OpenEye develops large-scale modeling applications and toolkits, primarily geared towards drug discovery and design. The software is designed for scientific rigor, as well as speed, scalability and platform independence. OpenEye is a software company; OpenEye is not a drug company, does not develop drugs, and does not intend to develop drugs.
OpenEye sells software in the following manner:
- Licenses allow unlimited usage (installed computers and platforms, simultaneous jobs, multiple processors). We want you to get as much use as possible out of our code.
- Licenses are site-wide or as part of a per-user package or a non-commercial, per-research group package.
- Perpetual licenses mean you only purchase once. You may pay annually for software updates and support, if you wish. Such licenses allow unlimited users site-wide; they are site-based with discounts for multiple sites. Installation at one site for use by other sites is considered multiple sites.
- The annual, per user package provides named users access to essentially all our application software.
- If you are doing non-commercial research, our code may be free (without support). We consider this on a case-by-case basis and reserve the right to refuse applicants.
- Non-commercial customers now have the option to purchase licenses, which include support and allow for future commercialization or patenting of research. See Annual Software Packages.
- If you wish to use our software for something other than in-house drug-design, for instance in a service capacity, we will impose additional restrictions. If you wish to build software for sale on top of our toolkits, we are willing to work out terms.
- We publish our pricing for annual licenses, so you know we are giving you the same deal we give everyone.
- If you want one piece of software, great. If you want access to all of our software, that's fine too.
- We do not sell source. If you want a toolkit (i.e. linkable libraries) rather than executables we either have it or will have it in the near future. If you want Python libraries - no problem.